The Arc of Indiana, a statewide advocacy organization for people with disabilities, strives to empower people and inspire change in many ways – including expanding employment opportunities to tackle the 82% unemployment rate among people with disabilities. We not only advocate for change, we are working to be part of that change by developing the Erskine Green Training Institute through The Arc of Indiana Foundation.
After receiving training at EGTI, individuals will apply those skills through an internship at either the Courtyard Muncie at Horizon Convention Center, the Thr3e Wise Men restaurant located on site or at IU Health Ball Memorial Hospital.
According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics in 2013, unemployment among individuals with disabilities was 82%. In the absence of employment, individuals with disabilities are forced to seek public assistance to survive. Hospitality is the world’s fastest growing industry, according to a study conducted by Eastern Michigan University. EGTI and the teaching hotel is Indiana’s first statewide hospitality training center for individuals with disabilities.
Developed by The Arc of Indiana Foundation, the project’s primary goal is to provide postsecondary vocational training opportunities that successfully prepares individuals with disabilities for employment in the hospitality, food service and health care industries. EGTI trains and the hotel employs individuals with disabilities throughout the hotel and its restaurants in various capacities.
The project provides a resource for Indiana businesses to successfully hire and maintain employees with disabilities.
The Courtyard Muncie is a 150 room property in downtown Muncie, Indiana with two restaurants and an adjacent parking garage.
The hotel is operated for profit. Profits are used to support EGTI and other initiatives of The Arc of Indiana. Approximately 20% or greater of the jobs within the hotel and its restaurants are held by individuals with disabilities. EGTI and the hotel is next to the Horizon Convention Center.
- The hotel is lowering Indiana’s unemployment rate and generating new tax revenues.
- EGTI provides a well-trained workforce for employment in the healthcare and hospitality industries in communities throughout Indiana.
- The project serves as an economic development model demonstrating the strength and benefit of private and public investments.
- EGTI and the hotel is setting the standard for the future development of similar projects.
- The project provides a positive economic impact for the City of Muncie through additional property taxes and increased convention and tourism business.
- The project creates additional tourism and hospitality employment opportunities for Muncie.